Monday, November 30, 2015

Enough is Enough

 (Las Virgenes Cristianas Expuestas al Populacho by F.R. Hidalgo, 1884)

Enough is enough is enough.
Stop mopping.
I can make you happy.
I know you best.
I can take you to all the movies you want,
all the galleries in the world,
all the places you've always wanted to go to,
to the heights of joy you can't find elsewhere.
Let's bring a tripod or a selfie stick,
whichever, I don't care,
to document that you and I exist,
our relationship exists,
that we are happy the way we are,
so when we look back decades after,
you'll come to realize that I have been
right all along.
I'm the strong one, yes, I am,
but you're not weak - you're
deluded -
thinking that you need someone else.
You have me, I have you.
A ring? I can give you that.
A house? Why not?
With a backyard for our dog to run around,
We'll grow old together,
us kids.
We'll spin our own stories,
pages and pages of them.
I will make it happen for you.
I am here to be with you,
for better or for worse,
in sickness and in health,
I will hold you in my arms.
Like Ray said,
your fears and bad dreams,
I may not be able to make them go,
but I can hold you forever.
Your heart is in pieces right now.
You're saying good bye.
I see that. I see you.
I'm not telling you to forget.
I'm asking you to make an effort
to accept me,
us,
and when you can't take it anymore,
I'll just sit with you, like this,
right now,
repeating a mantra,
enough is enough is enough.

(The picture above has nothing to do with the poem, by the way. I saw it today at the National Gallery of Singapore and absolutely loved it. Makes me want to do a pilgrimage to the Lopez Museum in Manila).

No comments:

Post a Comment